Hospitality and Beverage
In the hospitality industry, big and small players alike must cope with ongoing volatility in demand. Seasonal, economic, demographic, and regulatory factors all play a part. Cosgrave's hospitality team includes lawyers from our transactions, litigation, and employment groups, who together can help clients plan for and manage legal issues.
Risk can arise from many different sources, such as customers, vendors, and competitors. Rather than letting legal issues and risk factors divert attention from their businesses, clients from the hotel, restaurant, and retail sectors put their confidence in Cosgrave's lawyers. Clients can continue to take care of business while we help them handle a wide variety of legal matters, such as:
- A defense verdict in favor of our client, a major national retailer at a jury trial where over $6 million dollars were at stake. The claims included false imprisonment, defamation and breach of contract.
- Complete defense verdicts for Securitas Security Services, USA, Inc., in multiple cases involving allegations of negligent security and false arrest.
- Multiple premises liability issues for Motel 6.
Our lawyers are equally adept at counseling locally owned businesses and, through referrals from our ALFA network, international companies with local interests. Our comprehensive services for hospitality clients include the following:
Business Advice and Transactions
- Contract drafting and review
- Entity formation, maintenance, and succession planning
- Franchise acquisition
- Purchase and sale of business interests and assets
- Real estate development, sales, and leasing
- Reputation protection (including social media issues)
Employment Compliance and Litigation
- Defending claims of unlawful discrimination, retaliation, or termination
- Disability laws (ADA/OADA)
- Employment agreements, policies, procedures, and handbooks
- Family and medical leave laws (FMLA/OFLA)
- Internal investigations
- Non-competition, non-disclosure, and non-solicitation agreements
- Wage and hour laws
- ALFA International Hospitality Practice Group
- Oregon Brewers Guild
- Oregon Restaurant and Lodging Association